The sale of your home is finally considered to be complete on the closing date when the ownership of the home is officially transferred to the buyer. As the closing date approaches, here is a list of things that should be completed before closing the sale:
- Hire a legal professional to represent your interests and manage closing documentation – a Royal LePage Burloak REALTOR® will be a great resource for recommending an experienced lawyer who specializes specifically in real estate.
- Satisfy any conditions you may be subject to in the offer
- Arrange a truck for you to move or obtain estimates from reputable moving companies. Remember to book as far in advance as possible and ensure that your movers are insured.
- Contact utility companies to have meters read on closing day and coordinate cancellations or transfers. Remember to complete a change-of-address notification for medical, financial, and contracted services, licenses, subscriptions, memberships, and personal mail
- Organize the connection of services and utilities at your new home
- Coordinate with your lawyer the receipt of compensation for prepaid utility expenses and the payment of real estate and legal fees from the proceeds of the sale
- Meet with your lawyer to sign the required closing documentation to discharge any mortgages, transfer the deed, and provide the keys for the buyer